The hardest person to forgive is always yourself.
最难原谅的人永远是自己。
Fiction allows us to tell truths that are too slippery for nonfiction.
小说让我们能够讲述那些对非虚构作品来说太过滑溜的真相。
Every family is a haunted house in its own way.
每个家庭都以自己的方式成为一座闹鬼的房子。
The dead don't stay where you put them.
逝者不会停留在你安置他们的地方。
We are all unreliable narrators of our own lives.
我们都是自己人生不可靠的叙述者。
The more I learn about memory, the less I trust it.
我对记忆了解得越多,就越不信任它。
Writing fiction is like remembering things that never happened.
写小说就像回忆从未发生过的事情。
Grief is not linear. It doesn't follow a neat trajectory from denial to acceptance.
悲伤不是线性的。它不会整齐地从否认走向接受。
The past is never dead. It's not even past.
过去从未消逝,它甚至从未成为过去。
I wanted to write a book about memory because I think it's one of the most fascinating things about being human.
我想写一本关于记忆的书,因为我认为这是人类最迷人的特质之一。